Clashes between rival South Sudanese forces "violation of peace agreement"
Renewed clashes between government and opposition forces in parts of South Sudan on Monday are a "violation of the peace agreement" signed last year.
That's according to the UN Mission in the strife-torn country, UNMISS.
The clashes are most intense in the states of Central, Eastern and Western Equatoria, and Nassir in the Upper Nile area.
Heavy-fighting broke out in the capital, Juba, between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and then First Vice President, Riek Machar, in early July.
Here's Deputy UN Spokesperson, Farhan Haq:
"These continued actions are in violation of the peace agreement, signed by all parties in August last year, as well as the subsequent ceasefire declaration of 11 July. The UNMISS mission calls on all parties to return to their bases and allow the movement of humanitarian aid to affected areas."
The UN Humanitarian Affairs chief, Stephen O'Brien, arrived in Juba on Monday for a three-day mission to gauge the extent of the renewed crisis facing civilians across the country.
Yemeni government agrees to draft UN peace agreement, and leaves Kuwait
Agreeing to the text of a UN-drafted peace agreement to resolve Yemen's on-going civil war, the official government delegation left the venue of the talks on Monday, in Kuwait.
The delegation submitted a letter to the UN Special Envoy brokering the talks, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed.
Representatives of the government and Houthi rebels have been meeting since April, and news reports suggest that rebels have for now rejected the UN plan which would mean them withdrawing from some occupied cities.
Here's Deputy Spokesperson Farhan Haq again.
"The Special Envoy said that the departure of the Government of Yemen delegation from Kuwait is not a departure from the Peace Talks. He said that he had agreed with the parties to keep the talks ongoing until they agree on next steps in the coming days, which shall be dedicated to intensive meetings with the Ansar Allah-General People's Congress delegation, as well as with concerned members of the international community."
"Life-saving operations" scaled up across Africa by World Food Programme
"Life-saving operations" to help African countries worst hit by the effects of two poor harvests, have been scaled-up, according to the World Food Programme, WFP.
WFP said that it was providing extra help in Malawi, Mozambique, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, and Madagascar, among others.
The most recent drought was linked to the El NiAo weather event, described by the UN as one of the strongest on record.
Its peak coincided with the crucial October-December 2015 growing season.
WFP is assisting with food and cash while attempting to strengthen resilience building, it said.
Matthew Wells, United Nations.
Source: United Nations Radio.