CAPE TOWN, South African Energy Minister Mmamaloko Kubayi has told members of Parliament that has yet to obtain clarity on the implications of a High Court ruling invalidating the government's nuclear energy procurement process thus far.
Kubayi told the Parliamentary Committee on Energy here Tuesday that her department's legal team would deliberate on the judgment by Judge Lee Bozalek in the Western Cape High Court last week.
She stressed that the ruling did not push nuclear procurement off the table but merely faulted the process which has been followed so far to arrive at it and expressed concern about the implications of the court setting aside two ministerial determinations by her predecessor, Tina Joemat-Pettersson, which laid the ground for State-owned power utility Eskom to issue a request for information.
"It did not say 'You can't do nuclear"," she said, stressing that the court had found that the decision-making process had been irregular and therefore void.
The minister said her options could include an appeal or an application to the court for a declaratory order.
Speaking to the media after the briefing, she denied that she was determined to proceed with plans to expand South Africa's nuclear power capacity by 9,600 megawatts (MW). "I have not decided that yet. I have not made up my mind."
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK