JOHANNESBURG, The Board of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) says it will continue to act in line with an interim court order from the High Court in Pretoria last year regarding the appointment of executive management at the public broadcaster.
The SABC on Tuesday also denied it had appointed a new Chief Operations Officer (COO), saying the process was still on-going. This came amidst reports that the public broadcaster had appointed media executive Chris Maroleng to the COO position.
The High Court in Pretoria had ruled in December that non-executive members of the public broadcaster's board, and not the Cabinet, should appoint the executive members. The ruling was viewed as a major victory for those campaigning against political interference in the public broadcaster.
Meanwhile, opposition party the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) warned Communications Minister Mmamolo Kubayi-Ngubane not to repeat the mistakes of previous ministers by interfering in the appointment of top management at the public broadcaster.
Kubayi-Ngubane earlier claimed appointments of top SABC management were done via a Cabinet process, in apparent contradiction of the December court order.
EFF Spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi said the minister was not making the pronouncements out of ignorance.
If the CEO (chief executive officer) of the SABC is appointed by the Cabinet, then the SABC ceases to be a public broadcaster and then becomes a State broadcaster.
"Then she is dangerous, because we are shocked, because Cyril Ramaphosa (the South African Deputy President and recently elected president of the ruling African Nation Congress) said things will be different, yet under his watch, ministers are continuing intervening with the work of the SABC board.
Source: NAM NEWS NETWORK